Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Future of Journalism

I think in the next 10-15 years the majority of people will be receiving information from the internet or television. The baby boomers will still prefer reading the newspaper in the morning or evening but I think that the internet will be the main source of information for most people. The area of journalism that I'm majoring in is newspaper/magazine. I definitely feel that the newspaper industry will be suffering in 10-15 years but I don't think that magazines will feel the pinch that the newspaper industry has over the past few years. Magazines have a target audience that they cater to so I think that magazines will still be in good shape. As far as the new business models that will be emerging I have no idea what will happen. I can honestly say that I've noticed that the classifieds have gotten smaller and smaller over the past few months. I don't know what tactics advertising will take to improve but someone has to come up with some idea fast. You have to learn to adapt to change is not you will fall by the side. In order to keep up with the times newspapers are adapting and so must the advertising industry as well as other business models in order to stay on top.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I would like to comment on the business models and in response to "classifieds have gotten smaller and smaller." The economy is probably a major factor. However, I also believe that it has a lot to do with where I believe the future of journalism is going, which is via electronic and computerized sources. The business model is going to follow the money. The money is already in and is going to be in the virtual space. This is inevitable and irreversible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although the economy is not in the best shape, there should be some way for advertising to improve. Maybe that means new tactics but it seems to me that advertising may be little stuborn when it comes to change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah- I agree with you on the newspaper industry having to adapt in some way to continue effectively running a buisness. As far as advertising goes I think it will be very interesting to see what new ideas and advertising tactics will be implemented. Advertising could get more and more intrusive so the audience will at least get some exposure

    ReplyDelete